[Linux-aus] Committee Increases Prize

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Wed Jan 4 07:03:02 UTC 2006

On 1/4/06, Leon Brooks <leon-linuxaus at cyberknights.com.au> wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 January 2006 20:14, Karin Purser wrote:
> > The Linux Australia Committee decided to up the prize money for the
> > Community Member of The Year from $200.00 to $1000.00 in order to
> > better cover the costs involved with travelling and attending the
> > conference.
> An argument could be made about the committment from said CMotY to make
> up the difference but (1) they got to be CMotY somehow already; and (2)
> financial skillz don't necessarily overlap geek skillz.

It was basically a change in the way we were thinking of the prize:
originally it was something vague along the lines of "let's provide a
bit of a helping hand to someone wanting to go to LCA". Then we
realised that was a really sucky way to do it, because it was the sort
of pseudo-prize that could be a burden: "here, we'll give you a kinda
prize, but you've got to fork out a chunk of cash yourself in order to
use it".

So we decided it would be much better to make it a *real* prize instead.

Cheers   :-)

Jonathan