[Linux-aus] Re: LCA: bringing the process forward

Leon Brooks leon-linuxaus at cyberknights.com.au
Thu Feb 23 09:09:02 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 20:04, Michael Bennett wrote:
> It also means that a lot of the same work is repeated
> year after year.

This seems to be the nub of the matter.

LA has instituted processes like the "Ghosts of Conferences Past"
meetings (the kiwi group should pack some Maori masks) to pass the
torch of knowledge along to some extent.

Such processes can and should and almost certainly will continue and be
further developed, but one thing I want to do here is call into
question the unwritten assumption that near-total rewrites-from-scratch
are an inherently Bad Thing.

Yes, some effort is wasted, but I doubt that as much of the effort in
raising a conf is as reusable as many people seem to think.

Over against this, you have to set the potential for innovation and
fresh ideas that LCA harbours. For technically minor but illustrative
examples, Linus wore his first (and so far only) penguin suit at
LCA2003, and got dunked at LCA2004. About the only commonality in
schwag has been those IBM LAN/phone cable thingies. The tee-shirt
designs have all been utterly different. We had water-pistol wars at
Adelaide, cycling and a pizzavalanche at Canberra, dinner at a castle
in Dunedin.

All different, all fresh*, all new people, all of the _non_core_ stuff
was "+++ REDO FROM START"ed. Much of the core organisational effort is
location-dependent, so has to be redone at each new spot anyway.

Cheers; Leon

* Freshilicious, straight-out-of-the-ground fresh!
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia