[Linux-aus] Re: LCA: bringing the process forward

Michael Bennett mib at homemail.com.au
Fri Feb 17 11:10:02 UTC 2006

Jeff Waugh wrote:

><quote who="David Lloyd">
>

>>Is there anything wrong with our current (rather ad hoc but working)
>>process?
>>

>Yes. There is absolutely no information or understandable process in place
>for bidding teams to understand. The goal of the Sydney team was to h-bomb
>the process with a seemingly unbeatable pitch to convince other teams that
>it wasn't even worth running against us. It mostly worked. ;-)
>
>But that's not how it should work forever. We must have better information
>for teams that do not have prior experience. We must have some clarity and
>transparency in the process of selection. As competition heats up, we must
>have some qualitative guide for selectors.
>
>I started writing a proposal for this process after the Sydney pitch was
>announced - once my current travels end, I can finish it off and post it
>here.
>
>- Jeff

I agree the last team standing model needs to change. There is another
option. Rather than go for a competitive model LA could select a
location and team as they see fit. The process of looking for willing
people and venues would start well before the annoucement (18 months
prior to the conference) and hopefully allow for a team to be created
with the right skillset. In practice this would mean that when a group
of eager people with the right skills reaches critical mass to run the
conference at a location, then they could be scheduled in for the next
available slot well ahead of time. This would also allow time for
training in the 'non-geek' aspects of running a conference.

Seeya
Michael.