[Linux-aus] LCA: bringing the process forward (the whole message this time!)
linux-aus at studio442.com.au
Thu Feb 16 12:09:02 UTC 2006
The views of someone whose been heavily involved with the Melbourne bid.
On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 03:39:58PM +1100, Jonathan Oxer arranged a set of bits into the following:
> * 12 months is no longer enough time to organise an LCA.
Maybe, we need 12 months notice to book the venue (as will most people)
> * 7 months is plenty of time to organise an LCA.
> * The requirements of a pitch aren't defined well enough.
> * The requirements are deliberately vague to test your ability.
I'd say it's a bit of both, but I can certainly say that from the
Melbourne ranks there were a lot of irritated people when they found
out how much stuff the Sydney bid were able to get out of LA that we
either were told we couldn't get or weren't offered.
There was also the fact that Sydney must have been told they won at
least several days before Melbourne were told they haden't won. This
also really irritated people.
> * It's better for delegates to know further in advance for planning leave.
> * More than 12 months notice will decrease attendance at prior event.
I'd say announcing at the previous LCA works well. If you can't get
leave 12 months in advance where are you working!
> As you can see it's pretty much impossible to make everyone happy!
> What I want to do though is try bringing the whole process forward to
> see what happens. There are a number of teams who began to get up to
> speed for a 2007 pitch and it would be great to keep that momentum
> going rather than putting them all on hold for another 12 months. I'd
> like to see pitches for LCA2008 being seriously discussed around the
> middle of the year with a decision made well before LCA2007, even if
> it's not announced until LCA2007.
> So if you've been thinking about pitching for LCA, the time to get onto it
> is *now*. And if you have specific suggestions about the selection process
> please make yourself heard.
Give us a pitch date. All we want to know is when you'll make the
decision, we have people in Melbourne requesting as early as June,
myself I'd like to know by the 1st of August. But as long as there's a
date to work towards you'll appease most of us.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
Url : http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/attachments/20060216/9098e015/attachment-0001.pgp
More information about the linux-aus