[Linux-aus] Linux on mobile phones in Aus

Pia Waugh pia at waugh.id.au
Thu Feb 9 08:29:03 UTC 2006

Hi Steven,

<quote who="Steven Robertson">

> First question: Does anyone know of particular models in Australia,
> which are (preferably) available in Joe Blogg's Phone Shop down the road
> (optus, vodafone, et al), rather than, say, mail-order? Apparently
> Motorola and Samsung have a few options, but I have the above problems
> if I try to narrow it down beyond that, and I haven't had much luck
> asking in-store. A brute-force search through every model from every
> company would work, but asking here seems like a smarter bet.

I use a palm that synchronises perfectly with Linux, but obviously isn't
open source. If it is useful it is a Treo 650 (very nice :)

Also, there are very nice Japanese phones running Linux, but yeah I don't
know of any others, sorry.

Cheers,
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

      "The first man who, having enclosed a piece of ground, bethought
   himself of saying ‘This is mine’ and found people simple enough to
     believe him, was the real founder of civil society. From how many
   crimes, wars, and murders, from how many horrors and misfortunes might
    not any one have saved mankind, by pulling up the stakes, or filling
                  up the ditch, and crying to his fellows:
    ‘Beware of listening to this impostor; you are undone if you once
     forget that the fruits of the earth belong to us all and the earth
                itself to nobody’." - Jean Jacques Rosseau