[Linux-aus] Re: Who defines Open Source?

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Wed Feb 8 08:30:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:23:43AM +1030, Paul Shirren wrote:
> Avi Miller wrote:
> >Essentially, I'm trying to determine who (or what) determines whether or
> >not a licence is Open Source or not.
> >

> The Open Source Initiative http://www.opensource.org/ holds the
> trademark on open source,

When I contacted OSI some time ago (maybe a year or two ago now) they stated
that the term "Open Source" was in fact generic, and they were unable to
compel someone to stop referring to their software as Open Source if it's
licencing didn't meet the OSI definition.

If that information is no longer accurate, and OSI is now capable of
enforcing trade references to "Open Source", I'd be (very pleasantly)
surprised.

- Matt