[Linux-aus] Fwd: Squiz.net Open Source License - is it free?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Feb 4 20:35:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 22:15 +1100, Avi Miller wrote:
> Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> > This is about the Squiz.net Open Source License, the license of the
> > MySource Matrix CMS software now used by the Federal Government. LA
> > members might be interested.
>
> I have forwarded this email to our MD and I'll let you know if he has an
> official response. I know our license has been the subject of much
> discussion ever since MySource Matrix was first deployed within both
> State and Federal Government agencies. Our license has been through
> quite a few revisions and modifications since it was first developed and
> we are always looking for ways to make it more agreeable to the larger
> community, while maintaining the ability to support our own commericial
> efforts.
>
> If anyone from Linux Australia has any specific questions about our
> license, I'm more than happy to either try and answer them myself or
> pass them on to someone better qualified to respond.

I hate to be a 'me too', but I came across this a few months ago, and
was asked to deploy it at Hawker College.  I never did, mostly because I
look one look at the licence and felt squeamish.  I tend to have to hack
on software to make it go in my particular situation, and things just
didn't feel right.

Andrew Bartlett