[Linux-aus] FFP Release

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Dec 8 00:48:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, David Lloyd wrote:

> Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 22:55:58 +1030
> From: David Lloyd <lloy0076 at adam.com.au>
> To: Janet Hawtin <lucychili at gmail.com>
> Cc: Linux SA <linuxsa at linuxsa.org.au>,
>     Linux Australia <linux-aus at linux.org.au>,
>     OSIA DISCUSSION LIST <osia-discuss at lists.osia.net.au>
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] FFP Release
>

> Janet,
>
>> The Hon Dennis Hood will also call for a computer demonstration lab to
>> be set up in S.A., so that schools, libraries, and other institutions
>> can decide whether 'open source' is for them.
>
> It just dawned on me that I've been reading in the papers that the state has
> or is closing down a technology demonstration school which (if my leaky
> memory serves me right) was located somewhere near Thebarton.
>
> I refer to:
>
> * http://www.tsof.edu.au/aboutus/
>
> It might be worth the Honourable Member talking to someone from within PLUG
> to learn about the professional center that used to exist in Western
> Australia.
>
> DSL

To which are you referring - the SEAWA facility, or the OpenSourceWA
facility?

Both were facilities for computing professionals, that were shut down by
cessation of funding by the WA state government.

The first was the Software Engineering Asscociation of WA, and both were
used by computing professionals, and PLUG and other open source people
used both facilities. One of the interesting combinations of attendees,
at the SEAWA was the debate involving .NET and other open source
equivalents, such as mono, etc, a few years ago.

Unfortunately, it appears to be the policy of the WA state government,
to stifle the IT industry in WA.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale