[Linux-aus] Re: [Osia-discuss] [Fwd: Re: [xxxxxxx] FW: Re: S.A. Parliament - Ubuntu Matter of Interest]

Brent Wallis brent.wallis at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 14:20:03 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 12/4/06, Brenda Aynsley <bpa at iss.net.au> wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
> [snip]
>  >
>  > Unless this person is somebody important, say, the Federal Minister
> for IT,
>  > there is no point spending time on this.
>  >

> thanks for that steven, you missed the point, its not dennis hood I am
> interested in educating, in this instance, but those people in ICT who
> havent a clue about open source, or at least the clue they do have is
> totally bloody misguided.  These are people who can and do advocate for
> ICT solutions within their employment sphere. Those employment spheres
> invariably today are dominated by proprietary software.  If we dont
> refute their misconceptions and educate them, it will take longer for
> FOSS to permeate into those areas that we would want them to be.
>
> I happen to think that these persons are very important in that quest.

I admire and support your quest in this regard, but must point out
that "newer" / "smaller" political parties will jump on anything...I
am sure we did the same thing with the Democrats some time back..lots
of banter and verve... but it sorta fizzled because they ended up
looking at things more important.....like their own issues. The
Democrats really supported us....but it was for naught....

If I could suggest just 3 things:
- Don't lobby 1 party over another ...especially those that are
deliberately decisive with narrow policy platforms. As much as they
tell you they will take up your cause, they will only use it if there
is a POPULAR story that relates to their own agenda...for it to work,
you must lobby consistently, to every party, ALWAYS!

- Using any of the following phrases in you responses will cause
failure before you start:
>in this instance, but those people in ICT who
> havent a clue about open source, or at least the clue they do have is
> totally bloody misguided.  These are people who can and do advocate for
> ICT solutions within their employment sphere.
...whilst I agree with your sentiments, I have found that an "arm
around the shoulder" with REAL WORLD examples and runs on the board,
are the things that work best.
eg: Hey why don't you guys look at what Spain has done in their
schools with FOSS....

- Remember that things worthwhile take time...
> If we dont
> refute their misconceptions and educate them, it will take longer for
> FOSS to permeate into those areas that we would want them to be.

Take the time you think it will take and "multiply by 20"... this is
the way things work...it has taken YEARS and will take many more, and
if you ever get disheartened, then do what I said on this list a
couple of years back..."ponder what has happened the last 10 years and
how far we have come..." I gaurantee you will smile for a long time
afterwards...:-)

BW