[Linux-aus] auda policy and FOSS projects

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Dec 1 15:13:05 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Mick Pollard wrote:

> Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 22:19:16 +1100
> From: Mick Pollard <lists at lunix.com.au>
> To: linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au
> Subject: [Linux-aus] auda policy and FOSS projects
>
> Hey all,
>
> Has anyone tried to register a .au domain name for a foss project, as an
> individual ?
> What was the reaction of the registrar ?
> What did you put to satisfy the auda policy ?
> If I was to want to start a foss project and give back to the community
> why shouldn't I be allowed to have it under a .au domain name ?
> If I believe correctly the auda policy states you have to be a business
> or a registered organization or association or a sole trader with an ABN.
> No room for the non-business/organization foss project. The hobbyist that
> codes after work.
> If this is correct then what do you think the chances are of getting the
> auda policy changed to accommodate foss projects ?
> Hey we could even rally for a .foss.au 2LD.
> Comments please.
>

> Regards
> Mick Pollard
> _lunix_

Why pay twice as much  (or more than twice as much) as is needed to be
paid, to get a domain name?

gTLD's are far less expensive (only a fraction of the price) than the
.au ccTLD's .

If you have money to throw away for nothing, then, fair enough, but if
you can get something better, for a fraction of the price, why go for a
.au domain name?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale