[Linux-aus] Fundraiser for Linux Australia: Kaldi Coffee

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 22 13:05:05 UTC 2006

Hi there!

I've been talking with the guy who runs Kaldi Coffee (in Canberra).
They do a fundraising system whereby a person (e.g. me) takes orders for
people in their area (e.g. Canberra), sends the money and orders off to
Kaldi, gets the coffee in bulk and distributes it.  The coffee is
sourced through the Rainforest Alliance to ensure that it's a high
quality coffee grown in sustainable and ecologically sound plantations
where the farmers are paid a fair price for their coffee.  With eight
different blends of coffee, seven different grind sizes from whole bean
to Turkish, and three different sizes, it's also excellent quality
coffee.  I believe it's also roasted in Australia too.

The prices are normally $10 per 250g bag, $18 for the 500g bag and $30
for the 1Kg bag, of which Linux Australia would receive $4, $6 and $12
respectively.  If you think this is too steep, then I think Kaldi
wouldn't have a problem with us lowering the return to Linux Australia
and making the coffee cheaper (e.g. $8, $15 and $24 respectively -
competitive with the supermarkets but still raising some money).

I'm happy to organise this in the Canberra region.  If other people
wanted to do the same thing in their local region we could collaborate.
Would this be acceptable to Linux Australia?

Have fun,

Paul