[Linux-aus] Broadcast and netcasting: the next round on our digital rights.

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Mon Aug 21 21:47:02 UTC 2006

<bigsnip>

>> They allow the user a hell of a lot more control over what they watch
>> than the traditional media does. Whats going to come next is the new

Current commercial communicaton organisations, including Google, Triple
M and such don't care about the users most technical people care about.
They only care about who watches, listens to or is exposed to ad campaigns.

Their REAL customer are the advertisers or, in Google's business model,
those who somehow pay. I'm not giving Google any slack here because the
reality is that if someone didn't pay for it to run it wouldn't be there.

Don't get sucked in by darling successes - Google's as big a business as
Microsoft.

The problem is that consumer don't WANT to watch advertising bull shit.
I don't. Almost all new technolgy minus DRM wipes out the need to watch
advertising.

I don't think they give a hoot about copyright and that crap - they
obviously don't [I've never seen pirated software EVER and I know if
RIAA audited any SME they'd reap a huge profit and backlash] - what
they're worried about is that people will be able to LEGITIMATELY block
the PAID FOR ads...

That's the big issue.

DSL