[Linux-aus] Creating a Dream IT Policy

Craige McWhirter craige at mcwhirter.com.au
Thu Aug 17 14:54:02 UTC 2006

There's been a bit of froth and bubble of recent recent months and years
about government IT policies and it's impact. There's been some people
looking for an appropriate Free Software - aware political party.
There's been many, many people concerned about the US-AU "Free" Trade
Agreement among other issues.

As an off shoot of all this, I've launched a project that I've loosely
named the "Dream IT Policy". I've taken the end product of the hard work
a number of Australian Free Software luminaries and published it here as
a collaborative book (with their permission).

http://mcwhirter.com.au/Dream-IT-Policy

My hope is to encourage discussion and debate amongst the Australian
Free Software community about what makes a good state / national IT
policy as well enabling them contribute to such a policy. I'd like to
encourage anyone who is interested in the future of this nation and the
role that Free Software and more broadly Information Technology will
play in such a future to take the time to at least read or even better,
contribute to the "Dream IT Policy".

The result of this project will form an IT policy that will be used as a
model for our governments.

      Craige.