[Linux-aus] Re: [Osia-discuss] Chosing an Open Source licence

Brendan Scott lists at opensourcelaw.biz
Mon Apr 24 13:50:02 UTC 2006

Avi Miller wrote:
> Brendan Scott wrote:
>
>> This is all a question of cost and benefit.  Everyone who is engaged
>> in a licensing quandry needs to determine how much it is worth to them
>> to get the right answer, or, alternatively, how much a wrong answer
>> will cost them.
>

> This is absolutely the critical take-home message, I think. I have read
> way too many licences in the last week and they're all combining into
> one, now. :( I think motivating for some funding for some actual legal
> advice is the best couse of action.

The other thing to think about is how a licensing implementation could/should be staged.  If there are discrete components which can be licensed separately, then there's no reason you can't do one at a time to guage the consequences.  That is, there is not necessarily any need to do the whole shebang in one go.  This approach may allow you to manage your exposure to risk (ie the risk of choosing the wrong licence).

Brendan