[Linux-aus] Chosing an Open Source licence

Jon maddog Hall maddog at li.org
Fri Apr 21 20:29:02 UTC 2006

Hi,

You can go to this site and click on "Quick Reference Chart" to get an overview
of what each license does.  It is not as complete as what I would like to see,
but it is a start.  You can look at the other links on the same page.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=itdsubtopic&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Open+Initiatives&L2=Open+Source+Legal+Toolkit&sid=Aitd

I think the best thing to do is list the things that are important to you, and then look at each license
to see if it provides what you need:

o do you want attribution?
o do you need all changes to come back to you?
o do you need/want to keep control of the definition of the code?

also you can consider dual-licensing.

However, I recommend that you spend some time with this, because unless you hold all the copyrights to
all the code, it is the devil's own time to change the licensing after the fact.

Warmest regards,

maddog
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.