[Linux-aus] Curse Microsoft - THEY JUST DON'T GET IT

dave kempe dave at solutionsfirst.com.au
Wed Apr 12 20:14:02 UTC 2006

David Lloyd wrote:
> So why do I need to understand Windows to damn well do this?

you don't actually.
file says this about it:
$file XPS_085.exe
XPS_085.exe: PE executable for MS Windows (GUI) Intel 80386 32-bit, ZIP
self-extracting archive (WinZip)

and  $unzip XPS_085.exe
Archive:  XPS_085.exe
    creating: SampleDocs/
   inflating: XPS_085.doc
   inflating: XPS_085.xps
   inflating: Schemas/DiscardControl.xsd
   inflating: Schemas/S0schema.xsd
   inflating: Schemas/RDKey.xsd
   inflating: Schemas/DocStructure.xsd
   inflating: Schemas/SignatureDefinitions.xsd

Opening the 7mb word doc in Openoffice seems to take a while, - took
about 10mins on my P4 3ghz machine with 1gb ram (ubuntu dapper).
it is 444 pages.

so you don't need windows, just unzip and wait for openoffice

dave