[Linux-aus] Utter tripe in CIO magazine

Kristy A. Bennett kristy at kristy.id.au
Fri Apr 7 15:04:02 UTC 2006

Stepping out of the marketing machine....

Hey everyone, sorry I am late in on this topic but I am known for having
a lot to say and it is certainly easier to just let others say some of
it for me :)  I agree with the albatross analogy BTW

Granted, I think that it is worth a formal response from LA.  However, I
don't think it is worth taking so seriously that there are 13 responses
in less than 24 hours (in marketing speak that would equate to another
338 unhappy people also).  Lets get some context:

    "He has held sales and marketing positions with companies such as
    NCR, Sigma Data and Unisys and has been involved with leading edge
    technologies such as open systems, office automation, parallel
    processing, imaging and workflow management."[0, 1]

Think glorified Business Analyst (apologies to anyone offended by
this).  I personally studied and applied office automation and work flow
management as part of Certificate IV in First Line Management years ago
so no offense but I don't see it as a bragging point (or at least hadn't
considered it till now).

In addition to this it doesn't say in his spiel that he was in
management or IT for any of the lists businesses (NCR, Sigma Data &
Unisys). He was actually in sales and marketing so in terms of *real*
experience of being a CIO he has none.[2]

His nearest experience is in a *facilitation* role for the InTEP
management forum which is just that - a forum.  Ironically, he doesn't
even do that anymore.  It is a place where management from different
businesses bang their heads together until they resolve nagging issues
for their companies.

    "Members include senior IT executives from organsations across
    Australia (Melbourne and Sydney) and New Zealand (Auckland and
    Wellington) thus under local business, economic, fiscal and
    infrastructure conditions. Therefore an experience relating to IT
    costs, benefits, skills and technology useage can be meaningfully
    compared between member organisations."[3]

So really his article is really a gap filler and easily replaced with
something else.  So, I suggest if you or someone you know plays an
advisory role to a/several CIO(s) or better still currently are a CIO
then consider this a  prod to approach the magazine an article of your
own.  (Anything about successful Linux roll outs, either front or back
of house, would probably be welcomed).

 From a marketing stance sometimes it is easier to drown the competition
than actually fight it (or waste time bagging it).  Think of this
article as a renewed VB ad - the beer still tastes like crap but the
renewed ads drowned out the ones put on by the competition so all you
need to do is make a better beer ad so to speak.  (Yeah, mouse and the
mousetrap).

 From a marketing perspective if I put my employer hat on <
employer-hat="on"> I wouldn't touch him as he has sold his soul to
Saxton </employer-hat>.

--
[0] http://www.idc.com.au/analysts/detail.asp?analyst_id=phind
[1]http://www.saxton.com.au/default.asp?sd8=2279