[Linux-aus] Re: Utter tripe in CIO magazine

David Ruwoldt david.ruwoldt at adelaide.edu.au
Fri Apr 7 11:24:01 UTC 2006

Dear Greg,

Yes it is FUD. Yes technical people would see it as lacking
understanding. However the magazine is not aimed at people with
technical understanding. It is aimed at people who typcially make
business (read money) decisions.

The article gives a poor perception of linux. Reality never seems to
matter in marketing. Perception is often the thing that determines and
leads to reality in marketing.

The other important point is trust. People are much more likely to
believe a negative inference about something than a positive one. This
is human nature. For every negative inference people usually like 5 - 10
positive things to disprove the negative inference. This is true for
magazine articles as well. People need to have a trust built up and that
takes time and articles.

If we read something negative we like to see at least 3+ positive
artciles before we think "Hey this could be good". This means that all
those CIO's that rely on such magazines for technical direction (I would
bet there are alot of them out there) will take the article at face value.

As an organisation and community we not only need to dispute such
articles but also produce enough good and positive liturature to sway
perception. That will then lead to real market changes.

Yours sincerely

David Ruwoldt

--
David Ruwoldt
Lead Systems Architect

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient please
prohibited. No representation is made that this email or
any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is