[Linux-aus] Ubuntu Certification (was: lca2005 CD)

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Wed Apr 5 10:00:03 UTC 2006

umm.....

Now forgive me if I'm wrong, and please be nice enough to flame me off list if I am, but I was under the impression the LPI's were meant to be Vendor Neutral. By introducing a vendor specific exam into the LPI stream, isn't this just moving the LPI's away from their Benefit ie - A means of measuring the certified person's knowledge of the core linux kernel and subsystem. ?

Case in point is this quote from the LPI page - http://www.lpi.org/en/why_lpi.html

"Neutrality: LPI is a non-profit organization involved only with setting standards for professional certification. It is independent of vendors of Linux distributions, training, etc. For LPI, certification is not a marketing tool to push product."

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing ubuntu, Canonical or LPI for doing this, and having vendor specific certifications in Linux are a good thing as they allow us to compete with the closed source movement as a means of proving knowledge, but isn't introducing a vendor specific exam into a neutral certification stream starting to muddy the waters up a bit?

Steve.