[Linux-aus] Re: [Osia-discuss] Help with a political approach to Open Source please :)

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Thu Oct 6 14:00:02 UTC 2005

Hi Brendon,

<quote who="Brendan Scott">

> I think the hard part will be culling arguments, not adding them.  Talking
> to pollies you will have time to put across maybe 2 or 3 points in any
> detail.  Maybe only 1 or 2.

Well, actually it is useful to have perhaps 6 hard hitting points, and then
research each pollie prior to approaching them to take the most relevant
ones forward. For instance, Christine Milne cares deeply about equal access
to opportunity and understands the concept of technology for empowering
people, enter the Digital Divide and Education issue. For a hard nosed
economist type pollie we introduce the deficit and industry growth
opportunities, etc.

> You may want to consider separating the caring sharing arguments out from
> the hard nosed economic arguments.  Perhaps have them put by different
> people at different times.

I already have seperated them into social and economic :)

> Con and I can tell you about who we've already talked to.

Please send a list, and we can collaborate on a multi-pronged attack. To be
honest if everyone was talking to at least one person, we'd be moving
forward very rapidly :)

> My suggestion is that you approach the not-so-important targets first and
> take note of what has resonance.

Agreed, I've already been bouncing some of the ideas off some people I know
to test the waters, and some of the pollies that can give advice in the
area. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

                      "What are we doing today brain?"
              "We're taking over the world like we always do."
                           - Pinky and the Brain