[Linux-aus] Re: [Osia-discuss] Help with a political approach to Open Source please :)

James Purser purserj at k-sit.com
Wed Oct 5 22:22:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 00:03 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Pia Waugh">
>
> > Economic platforms:
> >         - Reducing the Trade Deficit
> >         - Growing the local economy
>
> Interesting bit you didn't quite mention in these sections is our ability to
> compete in the future global IT market with countries such as Spain, Brazil
> and China (and most of Asia, really) picking up the Open Source ball *way*
> ahead of us.
>
> - Jeff

I'll second this one, at the moment Australia is at a real risk of
becoming permanently a consumer rather than a provider of ICT services
and products. We need to stress to all sides of the political arena that
this is a Bad Thing, that this is going to cost money, jobs and
eventually votes(Sorry, getting a little cynical in my old age). It will
also cost in political weight on the world stage. If we are a customer
only then we are at the mercy of the suppliers.

Open Source is a great way to reinvigorate a lagging local industry
quickly. A real service economy can be created that can compete on par
with those offered by Chinese and Indian companies, with the added bonus
that we are a truly multi-cultural society so we can target at many
different markets, not being limited just to english speaking nations.

If we don't start down this road then we may as well just shut the door
and apply for statehood, as it is I just heard that the US Free Trade
Agreement is going to force us to severely downgrade our quaratine rules
when it comes to potentially diseased American Beef.
--
James Purser
Chief Talking Guy - Linux Australia Update