[Linux-aus] [Fwd: [nzlug] Maori Language for Windows...]

Andrew Donnellan ajdlinux at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 04:29:02 UTC 2005

On 11/29/05, Clayton Scott <kiaorabro1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I really do not know where to start in reply to your rant, amazing to
> read something so blatantly racist in a time of education and
> understanding where the mistakes of our forefathers have been learned
> long ago.
>
> I have a friend who is an english teacher in New Zealand, he says that
> a lot of the children attending school are  now speaking maori as a
> first language, my cousins are speaking it as their first language the
> beauty of this is that although the blood of these beautiful people
> may be dieing out, the language and the culture lives on through
> education and acceptance, the community at large is going to benefit
> by having a multicultural society where one can speak a language of
> their ancestors, and can learn in this language also.

I agree. The main point of the translation, I think, is not
necessarily pratical but more educational and historical. Maori
culture and language is dying out and translating software into the
language is important for its preservation.

BTW, there are a lot of 'dead' language education tools for Linux,
e.g. KLatin and others. Once there is no one to understand Maori then
some of NZ's history is lost.

> Your extremist right wing views are contrary to the purpose of the
> Linux/Windows translation into the maori language, with these
> translations taking place there can only be advancement in the wider
> community.
>
> I am really concerned that in the year 2005 we can have racism to such
> a perverted extent and i feel sorry for you for not being able to see
> the good in the continued growth in the maori language and its
> culture.
>
> I for my part have an interest in the development of this as an
> educational tool and as an operating system, the wider benefits are
> limitless and from what i am seeing from here in melbourne is the
> opportunity for Open Source developers to cash in on the opportunities
> in the education market in NZ.
>
> By the way i bet you would never face up to a New Zealander and tell
> him or her that they are going to become a part of Australia, before
> you tell me you are a New Zealander, you are not, you sold out years
> ago.

Agreed.

Andrew

--
This space for rent. Enquire within. Terms and conditions apply. See
store for details.