[Linux-aus] [Fwd: [nzlug] Maori Language for Windows...]

Janet Hawtin lucychilli at adam.com.au
Tue Nov 29 06:15:02 UTC 2005

Bret Busby wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Karin Purser wrote:

>>> Hello,.

>>> Just watched the news, and I saw that Microsoft have released a Maori
>>> Language pack for Windows and Office, and a spell checker as well.

>>> Does anyone know how the project to translate Linux into Maori is going?

>>> Just wondered if the developer/maintainer of that project wanted to
>>> contact TV3 who had the report, to try and get some perspective on the
>>> story and do a story of a finished product in Linux?

> The racial segregation continues.
>
> Any maori who can use a computer, can likely speak and understand
> English sufficiently to use the english versions of Windows or Linux and
> to understand the english as used in these two operating systems and
> their applications.

<imo>

The person asking the question doesnt sound like they are behaving in a
terrorist fashion?
Are all ports of linux to other languages segregation then mate? ;)
Many languages are important to small groups of people.

Surely the joy of linux is that it can be adapted for our own
contexts and uses. Often this is by harnessing the people who want the
flavour to help build it?

janet