[Linux-aus] [Fwd: [nzlug] Maori Language for Windows...]

Matt Brown matt at mattb.net.nz
Tue Nov 29 04:57:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 00:49 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

<snip amusing but mostly misguided rant>

> But then, as shown by the upcoming conference, NZ is being absorbed into
> australia, or, the Linux groups in New Zealand appear to be giving up
> their national identity, and being absorbed into australia. So, it would
> be more appropriate to translate Linux and Windows, and their
> applications, into strine, to provide for the average aussie, and the
> absorption of NZ into oz.

While I can't speak directly for LCA being held in New Zealand in Jan, I
might be able to give a bit of an insight into where the New Zealand
LUGs are at.

Earlier in the year we started a bit of an effort to see if there was a
desire for a Linux NZ style organisation to be started (see
http://www.linuxnz.org.nz/ for reference). We never really got anywhere
with it as there are not a huge number of people with time to volunteer
to it, and I think it would take a fair amount of time to get kicked
off. I'm still undecided as to how to push forward with this.

I'm not quite sure where your comments about NZ giving up our National
identity comes from, but even if we accept your hypothesis that NZ Lugs
are becoming more closely aligned with Linux AU I see absolutely no
reason whatsoever for that to result in a lessening of NZ identity, I
think for a small country Kiwi's do a damn good job of making sure the
rest of the world knows about us :P and I'm sure we could keep that up
even were we to become part of an organisation that is currently very
nationalistic.

Personally if NZ LUGs were to become even more integrated or affiliated
with Linux AU I think it would be an excellent step. Perhaps one day
Linux AU would even have a vision to expand and become Linux
Australasia. I'm only speculating, but I don't think there is any need
for the doom and gloom preached by your email.

Hopefully they will be lots of interested people to talk with this about
at LCA'06 in Dunedin.

Cheers

--
Matt Brown