[Linux-aus] ATO - Software Compatibility

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Thu Nov 17 20:18:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 19:38 +1030, David Lloyd wrote:
> The real problem here is that that the ATO don't consider Linux/Open
> Source JVM's good return on investment and when 90% or more of their
> customers don't use it to submit their returns they're right.
>
> Until WE can demonstrate there is a need, *I* refuse to pay extra
> taxes so that you can submit your tinpot return to the ATO.

I doubt it would cost the ATO much to provide a linux ECI client.

It's important that communicating with the ATO is not a roadblock for
wider adoption of open source technologies.

When asked...
"Do you believe that the Australian Taxation Office's Windows-Only
policy is a roadblock to the adoption of open source in Australia?"
72% of respondents to OSIA's industry survey said Yes.

--
donna benjamin - executive director
http://www.creativecontingencies.com/