[Linux-aus] ATO - Software Compatibility

Del del at babel.com.au
Thu Nov 17 07:51:03 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Background:  Despite recent reports in the press, the ATO are still not
allowing public availability of the ECI software for Linux.  They allowed
a limited release of it, and then closed off the release once a test group
had obtained copies of it.  One or two OSIA members have managed to get
the software working in various ways, but it is at the moment completely
not supported by the ATO.  The software is in Java, and there is no reason
that it should not work on Linux in exactly the same way that it works
on Windows.

Each time we have requested copies of the ECI software for Linux, we have
been rebuffed.  A standard form-letter appears from the ATO (see below)
indicating that there is insufficient demand for a Linux version of the
ECI software.

It is time that we got on the bandwagon with this one.  It's obvious that
the software works on Linux, what the ATO are waiting for is a groundswell
of letters requesting the Linux version, as they state that "If the demand
for a Linux/Unix compatible version increases significantly, the ATO will
review its decision."

So, what we have to do is to send a letter to the ATO indicating that
a groundswell of demand for a Linux version exists.

Send this letter in, get all of your clients and colleagues to send it
in, and let's make this happen.

OSIA:  Open Source Industry Association -- http://www.osia.net.au/

ATO:  Australian Taxation Office -- http://www.ato.gov.au/

ECI:  Electronic Commerce Interface -- in essence, the core of the
software that allows quarterly Business Activity Statement (BAS)
and monthly Income Activity Statement (IAS) submission to the ATO
electronically.

--
Del

(1) Letter you need to send in:

ATO Technical Helpdesk
Email: technical.help at ato.gov.au

(insert name and organisation details here)

Dear Sir/Madam,

I write in response to work request number 01AC391742 for the provision of
a Linux version of the ECI software. Our organisation as users of the
Linux operating system are disadvantaged in our dealings with the ATO
and hereby request that a Linux compatible version of the ECI software
is provided to us.

I note that other organisations have previously requested a Linux version
of the ECI software, and other associated work request numbers for this
request include 01AC184071 and a few others.

Our operating system details are as follows:

Linux versions 2.4 and 2.6
Sun Java version 1.4.2
Mozilla web browser version 1.7

Regards,

(name)
(position)
(organisation)

(2) Most recent letter from the ATO, for reference.

Dear Donna,

Thank you for contacting the ATO Technical Helpdesk with your enquiry.
Your request has been registered, and has been assigned the work request
number 01AC391742. Please quote this number in all future contacts with
the ATO Technical Helpdesk on this issue.

The ATO Online Services are currently supporting the Microsoft Windows
and Apple Macintosh OS-X platforms only. This is due to the vast
majority of clients who had indicated they wished to deal electronically
with the ATO over the Internet using one of these two platforms.

For clients with different operating systems (specifically Linux and
Unix), due to the smaller potential user population, the ATO considered
that the costs associated with developing, maintaining, updating and
providing user support for Linux/Unix versions of the Online Services,
could not be justified.

Internet browsers currently supported by the ATO for secure electronic
transactions are Microsoft Internet Explorer and Netscape. On the
Macintosh platform, the Safari browser is currently a supported
alternative to Internet Explorer and Netscape. The ATO cannot support
all of the available formats of
Internet browser due to development and maintenance costs.

The Electronic Commerce Interface Client version 4 (ECI Client V4) is
currently supported on the Microsoft Windows platforms, Macintosh OS 8.6
- 9.2 and MAC OSX running in Classic mode only. Due to the smaller
potential user population, the ATO considered that the costs associated
with developing, maintaining, updating and providing user support for
Linux/Unix versions of the ECI Client, could not be justified.

The ATO is continually monitoring demand for the Online Services and ECI
Client software. If the demand for a Linux/Unix compatible version
increases significantly, the ATO will review its decision.

To register your request, please reply to this e-mail quoting the job
number as stated above, and include details of your operating system &
browser. We will collate this information for evaluation, and base a
decision about any future releases of the Online Services and ECI Client
software.

If you require any further technical assistance please do not hesitate
to contact us on 1300 139 373 or +61 2 6211 9306 (international callers
only) between 7:00am - Midnight AEST, or e-mail us at:
technical.help at ato.gov.au and quote your job number as stated above.

A wide range of information, help and advice is also available online at
the following Internet sites:

Electronic Commerce Interface:	http://eci.ato.gov.au
Australian Taxation Office: 	http://www.ato.gov.au

Regards,
Nick

Technical Support Operator
ATO Technical Helpdesk
E-mail: technical.help at ato.gov.au
Ph: 1300 139 373 or +61 2 6211 9306
Fax: 02 6211 9111

IMPORTANT

The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient
only and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material.
Any review, re-transmission, disclosure dissemination or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may result
in severe penalties. If you have received this e-mail in error please
notify the Privacy Hotline of the Australian Taxation Office, telephone
13 28 69 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any
attachments.