[Linux-aus] Re: Bootable CD-based Linux Hardware Tester

Lindsay Holmwood lindsay at holmwood.id.au
Mon Nov 14 17:46:02 UTC 2005

Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 08:03:38AM +1100, Avi Miller wrote:
>
>>>is there a program you have in mind?
>>
>>No, I'm ignorant about Linux-based hardware testing tools, with the
>>exception of memtest86, where my entire knowledge consists of knowing it
>>exists. :) I'm essentially looking for a testing suite that will hammer the
>>hardware over and over again looking for problems. Ideally, something that
>>will testing CPU, Memory and Hard Drive, at least.
>

> A few very simple shell scripts and/or C programs will do that for you.

<snip>

> Note that these programs are very, very basic, and probably don't exercise
> the components as well as they *could* be exercised, and (for instance) only
> hard drive reading (not writing) is exercised by the first shell script.

You could also try out stress[1], which implements a lot of the
functionality Matt wrote about. It stresses out cpu, memory, swap, and
hard disks.

You can find debs, rpms, and source at the page listed below. Easily
droppable onto any livecd.

Lindsay

[1] http://weather.ou.edu/~apw/projects/stress/