Re: [Linux-aus] The Open Source Victoria LiveLAMP Project

for some reason the original poster's CC was wrong, so here's the message
again.

----- Forwarded message from Con Zymaris <conz@cyber.com.au> -----

Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 19:27:49 +1000
From: Con Zymaris <conz@cyber.com.au>
To: Grant Diffey <nevyn-la@artificial-stupidity.net>
Cc: linuxaus@linux.org.au,
	Open Source Industry Australia <osia-discuss@lists.osia.net.au>
Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] The Open Source Victoria LiveLAMP Project

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 07:20:06PM +1000, Grant Diffey wrote:

> > > 	A Selection of stand alone windows executables nothing that requires installing but. for example sc1.exe is about a million times more plesant than notepad and is free software(scintilla based editor)
> > > 	a w3c validator
> >
> > The LiveLAMP system runs a Linux server backend. How do you intend to make
> > a Windows executable of use?
>
> Because some people for some reason prefer to edit things locally and
> transfer back and forth to the server. if the server has local copies of
> a few decent editors for windows that don't require installation this
> could:
>
> 	A) Open peoples eyes to free software a little more
> 	B) Provide a more plesant editing environment than the windows default
>
> While there are a selection of editors on the server (nano should
> definitly be included with an appropriate .nanorc file syntax
> highlighting for html and php)
>
> This doesn't help people who prefer to edit things locally on their
> windows machines. given that windows explorer just like konqueror and
> nautilus lets you view a ftp server as a folder providing free software
> tools that run on windows may be worth considering.

I have no issue with the (good) idea of having Windows users use good
Windows FOSS...

But how does having an installation of a Windows binary on the LiveLAMP
server help the Windows users who need local (workstation) access to those
binaries? How are the users going to run the application? We aren't
providing a Samba interface for instance. The config/integration issues
would be non-trivial for IT teachers no versed in the tech. The idea of
LiveLAMP is: just add hardware and it now works.

----- End forwarded message -----

Con Zymaris <conz@cyber.com.au> Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne, Australia
Web: http://www.cyber.com.au/  Phone: 03 9621 2377   Fax: 03 9621 2477