Re: [Linux-aus] Re: LCA, eh

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 17:22 +0930, David Lloyd wrote:

> >Make it too big, and you dilute this aspect of the conference - if I was
> >Linus or Rasmus, I'd want to go to LCA because it had super high quality
> >attendees, but not if there were so many of them that I'd be pestered
> >all day and still not get to talk to all of them.
> >

> So, if I meet you at Linux World, I'm a low quality attendee, but if I
> meet you at an LCA (in the state of New Zealand) I'm a high quality
> attendee? Perhaps I should somehow legally garner all the Linux World
> attendees e-mail addresses and forward them to you so YOU can tell them
> that YOU think they're low quality attendees...

I don't know how you drew anything like that out of my paragraph, but it
is an interesting fact that plenty of high profile hackers _don't_ like
going to Linuxworld, but _do_ like going to LCA, so clearly there is a
difference.

> I think this size argument is silly. It's what you do with it (whatever
> it happens to be) that matters. As others have pointed out, the
> potential attendees at Linux/Open Source related conferences is going to
> grow regardless of what the LCA organisers think about LCA. So they can
> either keep it small (and work out who the hell to turn away), split the
> conference up a little more (but how)...or do somethng. That might be
> decide to do nothing, but that should be an active decision rather than
> a passive one.

No, size DOES matter. A huge part of the reason I like LCA is the
intimacy of it - I don't believe one can make it a giant event and
retain that.

J.
--
Jan Schmidt <thaytan@mad.scientist.com>