[Linux-aus] Anti-circumvention Forum - Thursday

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Mon May 30 13:28:02 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm not going to send a reminder everyday about this :) But I did want to
say a few words as to why it is really important to understand issues such
as anti-circumvention, as they affect _YOU_ everyday. The legislations being
introduced by the Free Trade Agreement make it illegal to use and often
enough write software, it has serious threats towards any interoperability,
and is changing the nature of copyright from copy control to access control.
Discussed on the day will be a developer perspective, a copyright agency
perspective and two very good lawyers who have managed to condense the issue
down to what is really scary for us. We'll also be discussing Fair Use, and
you'll have an opportunity to ask the entire panel any questions you have.

I'm hoping to record the event, and this is one of the only seminars being
held about this issue. It is a great opportunity to get educated, and then
have the information you need to lobby our politicians about issues that
will affect you directly once the FTA comes into effect (the ICT components
of the FTA had 18-24 months to implement, so we still have time to make an
impact, but not for long).

Details at http://linux.org.au/projects/forums/ and please rsvp to me. A
nice lunch and refreshments will be provided, and we still have places
available. Feel free to extend the invitation to anyone you think
could/should come :)

Cheers,
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

                "Women hold up half the sky." - Mao Tse Tung