[Linux-aus] Edexpo - Getting some airplay for Linux in education

anthony hornby anthony.hornby at cdu.edu.au
Tue May 10 08:29:02 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I would recommend pointing people to the Educause site -
http://www.educause.edu -> resources -> search -> "open source"

Nasty length link my mail client is sure to wrap on you is:

http://www.educause.edu/SearchResults/706?
app=krc&output=xml_no_dtd&restrict=WWW_EDUCAUSE_EDU&client=my_collection&site=my_collection&getfields=*&filter=0&opid=644&q=open+source+&app_section=&submit=Search&top_tax_id=&PRIMARYPUBS=&Control=&CARNEGIE=&FTE=

There are lots of resources there about open source in education from
case studies to product awareness etc and Educause is an "authoritative"
source for those in the industry who like those sorts of terms ;-)

Also www.flexiblelearning.net.au -> resources -> search -> "open source"
gets you lots of resources about how open source is being used in
education and what is available.

I would also plug parallel movements in opening access to information
such as the open access movement -
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/fosblog.html
http://www.soros.org/openaccess/

and some sites that already have lots of resources under this model such
as ...
http://www.biomedcentral.com/
http://www.plos.org/

Also give creative commons creativecommons.org a plug.

Educators really care about open access to information resources and
there are some nice synergy's with what the open source movement is
doing for software with what access movement and creative commons are
doing for equitable access to information. In education its the whole
movement to openness of access to information that appeals to me
personally - open source is a big part of that, but its not the only
part.

For libraries specifically there is http://www.oss4lib.org/ as a good
place to find out what open source software is available specifically
for libraries, and every school has a library.

Hope those resources are of some use.

Regards Anthony.