[Linux-aus] Re: FYI: Canada's proposed copyright laws

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Mon Mar 28 22:01:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-25-03 at 13:11 +0800, Chris Pudney wrote:
> From slashdot
> <http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/03/24/2243232.shtml?tid=123&tid=17>:
>
> " The Canadian government has reportedly said no to the DMCA. It released
> its plans for copyright reform today with a limited anti-circumvention
> provision that would not cover the likes of DeCSS. It even avoided the U.S.
> "notice and takedown system" that has caused a big headache for U.S. ISPs.
> A good summary is available from Canadian law professor Michael Geist. "
>
> If Canada, which has a "free-trade" agreement with the USA (as part of
> NAFTA) can reform its copyright legislation then Australia can/should too.

As I understand it, the Canada-US FTA (later expanded into NAFTA) didn't
include intellectual property provisions, whereas the Australia-US FTA
does.

Nevertheless, if it holds up it will be a surprisingly firm stand on the
part of the Canadian government. Good for them!

AfC
Singapore

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Management Consultant

Technology strategy, managing change, establishing procedures,
and executing successful upgrades to mission critical business
infrastructure.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney   New York   Toronto   London