[Linux-aus] Re: Media Training

Pia Smith greebo at pipka.org
Sat Mar 26 12:48:02 UTC 2005

<quote who="Matthew Palmer">

> I'd be very interested in attending.  I seem to be covered in
> journo-attractant spray (two articles in SMH about OpenSkills, and I was
> just contacted by someone from ZDNet about GPL forking!), and I'd like to be
> able to promote the various things I'm involved in (Community Code, Debian,
> South Coast Linux Users' Group, ComputerBank, OpenSkills, OSIA, IRM, etc) to
> the media far better.  I also think I flubbed a couple of the interviews I
> had after LCA last year, and I'd like to know I'll do a lot better for OSS
> if there's a next time. <grin>

I think Matthew would be a good candidate for this training, and with all
the projects he is involved in, they would certainly come into good use :)

> With better media-handling skills, I'd be willing (time permitting) to act
> as "media officer" or whatever for any of the groups (NGO or OSS project)
> I'm involved with as needed.  Cooperation with the media is something I
> think is very important to the success of any widespread endeavour these
> days -- perception *is* reality.

Awesome! This is a the kind of thing I'm hoping people who get the training
are willing to do. Rock on!

Anyone else interested, please post here, so everyone can see who is getting
training, as much for transparency and knowing who in the community has
media skills when they are needed :)

Cheers,
Pia

--