[LACTTE] Re: [Linux-aus] About a User Conference (was...)

Michael Davies michael at msdavies.net
Thu Mar 3 09:45:02 UTC 2005

Grant Diffey said:
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 10:01:25AM -0600, Michael Davies wrote:
>>
>> Bret Busby said:
>> >
>> > So that is why these people insist on sending multiple copies of their
>> > posts to the list - because "evil will always triumph over good"....
>> >
>> > And I would assume that committee members would be subscribed to the
>> > commoners list, and so would not also need messages sent to their list
>> > in addition to the multiple copies posted to the commoners list.
>>
>> bree> head -6 ~/.procmailrc
>> MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir
>>
>> # Remove duplicates
>> :0 Wh: msgid.lock
>> | formail -D 8192 .msgid.cache
>>
> while true that procmail can filter duplicates it in no way reduces the
> responcibility of posters to trim the cc list appropriately.

Agreed, but you can never control what others do, instead you can do the
right thing yourself and then find an easy solution to your problem.

>> > Perhaps, if the "moderate all messages" problem is overcome, the list
>> > administrator could set the Reply To address, to default replies to go
>> > to the list, we would not get multiple copies of messages that some
>> > people are sending to the list.
>>
>> http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>>
> I'm not a fan of reply-to being set to lists but it is sometimes
> appropriate
> fOr public forums

It's just like a discussion on sending HTML email - whether there are
occasions when it is appropriate or not, the best thing to do is to avoid
it in the first place so the controversy can be avoided :-)

--
michael at msdavies dot net
http://michaeldavies.org/weblog