[LACTTE] Re: [Linux-aus] About a User Conference (was...)

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Mar 1 17:23:04 UTC 2005

Anthony Towns wrote:
> Michael Still wrote:

>>> Maybe we should try a user conference that caters variously to all
>>> the sorts of people we can think of, then get feedback on how to do
>>> it right next time -- more as a deliberate experiment, than a first
>>> actual run?
>>
>> Ok, I think that's implicit in anything like this though. If LCA 2005
>> tried something and it flopped, then we'd drop it in the future too.
>
> Yeah, all good things are experiments in that sense. I'm thinking more
> that rather than trying some particular idea ("let's do LCA-lite" or
> "let's do a tradeshow") we might want to try deliberately doing bits of
> all of them then choosing a focus once we see what works.

Sure. So, we need a plan that can have a small trade show (for
instance), need to ask for expressions of interest from vendors, but be
able to back out if no such interest is present.

>> I think there is recognition out there that the formula isn't cast in
>> stone for any of these events.
>
> For comparison, while the formular for LCA gets major tweaks, the
> fundamental focus has been pretty consistent -- it's talks by top notch
> local and foreign developers for Linux hackers and friends.
>
>>> Well, hey, it has only been a couple of weeks; and your proposal was
>>> so draft it had a request for "$xxx" :) There's not really much of a
>>> definite idea to have a consensus on yet.
>>
>> That's cause the real figure is so big it would blow your mind!
>> Seriously, I wasn't 100% comfortable talking about my draft numbers on
>> a public list.
>
> committee at linux.org.au isn't a public list...

Yes, but I have been unclear on what to use committee@ for under the
new, opener, regieme (which I like by the way).

I'll draft something over the next couple of days and send it in.

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "The geek shall inherit
http://www.stillhq.com            |  the earth"

Linux.conf.au 2005 -- Quite like an excellent Linux and Open Source
conference. http://lca2005.linux.org.au