Re: [Linux-aus] Salary Survey

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Ian Wienand wrote:

Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 09:47:07 +1000
From: Ian Wienand <ianw@ieee.org>
To: linux-aus@lists.linux.org.au
Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Salary Survey

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:11:09PM +1000, Pia Waugh wrote:
I think it'd be interesting, and also having a polling functionality
would be cool at any rate. Want to set it up? ;)

I couldn't commit time to develop a custom solution; but if someone knows of a good open source polling/questionnaire builder that has some sort of minimal level of anti-spoofing and security I'd be willing to set it up and admin it. Alternatively it could be part of MemberDB?

-i

I think that one thing to be wary of, if it is connected to MemberDB, is the potential for loss of anonymity of people who would supply the information, which could be a disincentive to participate.

For such a survey, possible questions could include:
1. Highest level of computing qualification obtained/ partially
   completed
2. Level of computing qualification currently being undertaken
3. Employed or Self-employed/contractor
4. Current salary/annual gross income (to include
   contractors/self-employed)
5. Proportion of current working hours spent working with open source
   software
6. Has/is proportion of working hours spent with open source software,
   increasing or decreasing?
7. Computing/professional organisations of which you are currently a
   member

With 1 and 2 including both academic (university/TAFE, etc) qualifications and industry certifications, both open source and otherwise.

I think that a survey that included the above information, could provide an interesting snapshot.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."