[Linux-aus] Remastering Fedora Core 4

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Wed Jun 29 06:43:02 UTC 2005

On Tuesday, 28 June 2005 at 14:25:12 +1000, Del wrote:
> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> I've spent the weekend trying to create a custom version of Fedora
>> Core 4 (see http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-jun2005.html#25).  All
>> works well (now) except for booting.  I can't find the bootstrap in
>> the directory tree (isolinux/isolinux.bin is the wrong size, and it
>> doesn't appear to be intended for CD booting), and I don't know of any
>> tools to extract it from the bootstrap area.
>>
>> There's a whole lot of detail in the URL above, so I won't waste
>> bandwidth by repeating it here.  Does anybody have any pointers?
>
> In reference to your diary entry (which I did eventually find by
> scrolling down from the URL above),

Oops, sorry, should have been
http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-jun2005.html#26.

> 1.44MB is NOT the correct size for an ISO boot image constructed
> with --no-emul-boot.  That's the correct size for the old emulated
> El Torito stuff but no longer correct these days for bootable DVDs
> and things.  A bootable ISO image is essentially a bootable ISO
> image -- not a bootable floppy disk image.  > Also, your script is
> fundamentally incorrect because you need to specify a boot image
> size with no-emul-boot.

When did you look at this entry?  In the version $Id:
diary-jun2005.html,v 1.40 2005/06/28 00:43:34 grog Exp $, I state:

   Sent a message out to the Australian Linux groups today about my
   DVD boot problems, and in the evening got a reply from Glen Turner
   pointing to the problem: turned out that the bootstrap was correct
   after all, but that I had a bug in my burn script (now corrected):
   there are at least two kinds of bootstrap you can put in an ISO
   image. The older style is the El Torito bootstrap, effectively an
   image of a floppy. The other is a native bootstrap, which can be of
   any length. That's what I wanted, and you specify it with the
   -no-emul-boot option.

   Not that that removed all problems: after that I could run the
   bootstrap, but it failed again:

   ISOLINUX 3.08 2005-05-19 isolinux: Image checksum error, sorry...

   More head-scratching to do there. I may actually have to install
   Fedora Core 4 to do it right.

This was up long before you sent this message.  Also, the script has
been fixed in $Id: mkcd,v 1.2 2005/06/28 00:31:29 grog Exp $.

On the other hand, for a general burn script -no-emul-boot is not
always right.  I've put it in there for now, but it really should be a
separate option.

Do you have any opinion on getting the image checksum correct?

Greg
--
The virus contained in this message was not detected.