[Linux-aus] Re: [Osia-discuss] New PITA virus going around

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Jun 27 14:18:02 UTC 2005

On Monday 27 June 2005 13:10, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> The problem isn't so much the virus -- that's just more of the same,
> and besides, the more Windows viruses, the better for us. The problem
> is the blacklisting of innocent people. And that is no more
> Microsoft's fault than it would be Linus' fault.

If there were proprotionate numbers of spoofs from Linux machines, I
would agree wholeheartedly. There are two problems here, one being the
virus, and one being careless blacklisting. Yes, careless blacklisting
is arguably OS-independent. No, the *opportunity* to do something
stupid is not. I agree that Trey's software does not provide the
blacklisting, but argue that it does provide many more opportunities
for expression of latent stupidity and thereby contributes measurably
to the degree of human suffering which results. Call me a pragmatist,
but that suffering is what matters to me.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia