[Linux-aus] LCA 206 - Having Education as a Theme?

Hi,

In relatively rapid succession I have gotten these three email messages:

organisers@lca2006.linux.org.au said:
> 2006 - Dunedin, NZ!
> linux.conf.au is the annual Australian Linux technical conference, and is one
> of the largest gatherings of users and developers of Free and Open Source
> Software in the Southern Hemisphere.  It is an opportunity for developers and
> groups to present their ideas amongst peers, and for the Free Software and
> Open Source communities to gather in general.

Now since Dunedin is a center of education in New Zealand, I was wondering
if the LCA program committee might consider a THEME for the conference in
Education?  You could have a track that would concentrate on education, and
training sessions concentrating on things of use to educational groups,
perhaps getting funding from philanthropic groups to fund some projects
and do what we call in the states a "full-court press" for education....to
move the K-12 and even University education using FOSS ahead by a year or two.

Some of the students in the ACM group might be approachable in doing projects
for education, and there could be some training sessions for "teaching the
teachers".

This is not to say that you could not consider other tracks and other subjects,
but it would allow you to create a certain amount of interest and excitement
to have a "conference within a conference".

Of course this would be applicable back in Australia too.

Just a thought.

maddog
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.