Re: [Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 11:08 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> overseas, appears to involve paid overseas travel for those involved in
> making the decision, is worthy of examination.

Sigh. OK, I see where you're coming from and of course the Committee
needs to be accountable to the LA membership, but I think you're missing
something rather important.

Being on the LA committee is not beer and skittles. It's time-consuming,
frustrating, requires diplomacy, and is just plain hard work. We meet by
teleconference *every* *week*, and converse regularly during the week as
well. On top of that, it actually costs money out of our own pockets to
be on the Committee. Even when big-ticket items like airfares to a
face-to-face meeting are covered, there are numerous little expenses
along the way. Interstate phone calls, time off work to attend meetings
and other functions, paying for take-away food while at an f2f when we
would have eaten more cheaply at home, it all adds up. It gets in the
way of our social life, it takes time away from other things we could be
doing, and it's generally just a pain.

So to be accused of rorting the organisation after putting in money out
of my own pocket is just a little bit hurtful.

>From what I know of them, everyone on the current Committee has
committed to be part of it because they think it's a worthwhile thing to
do. They've consciously set out to do a job that not very many people
would even want.

So you are welcome to keep us accountable - but please think before you
accuse.

> Perhaps, if the committee is serious and genuine, about the issue of the
> sustainability of Linux Australia, it should contact members who are not
> subscribed to the mailing list,

That is actually exactly what we talked about at the Committee meeting,
and a plan is already underway to make it happen. We currently have a
large membership list with email addresses, but far fewer people
subscribed to either linux-aus or the announce list.

We'll be attempting to re-engage with those others on the membership
list in the near future.

Cheers  :-)

Jonathan Oxer