Re: [Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

<quote who="Jonathan Oxer">

> Or the other extreme is to hire an executive, perhaps in the form of a CEO
> or a secretariat to undertake all the jobs it's hard to find volunteers
> for.

I have a bit of experience that might be useful to the committee about this,
but it's not appropriate for public consumption just yet. Let me know if you
want to hear more. It boils down to this -> I would only be happy with this
if details of the role and management process were tightly specified, public
knowledge, with frequent reporting. That's "Hard". :-)

> So where from here? Assuming we want to follow a middle-ground course,
> what should that be?

It may be worthwhile hiring a (very) part time administrator/bookkeeper to
make sure the organisation keeping up appearances in legal terms, and making
sure the committee is kept up to date with the administrative aspects of the
organisation without actually having to do it themselves (which can result
in burnout, information and tasks being dropped, etc).

- Jeff

--
GNOME Summit 2005: October 8th-10th         http://live.gnome.org/Boston2005

    "I've been thinking: I get way too many pieces of e-mail, about 60 a
                             day." - Microserfs