Grant request status? (Re: [Linux-aus] Grant request: Australian Twisted Sprint)

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Mon Jul 25 09:03:02 UTC 2005

Hi Mary,

> I posted this grant request to linux-aus 14 days ago today. According to
> my reading of http://www.linux.org.au/projects/grants it should now be
> accepted and processed. Is this correct?

Almost, but not quite! While it would be great to automatically approve
any grant that doesn't cause objections, LA currently only has a budget
of $2000 / month for grants and there have been quite a number of
applications in the last couple of months. As a result grants have to
get through the public discussion period, which your grant now has, and
then we have to make something of a judgement call on which grants would
be the best use of the money available.

Until recently our major problem was not having enough grant
applications, but now we've got worthy applications totalling more than
the available monthly funds. That's both good and bad, obviously! As a
result we're still smoothing out the exact process for how to deal with
the situation. The process defined on the LA site will no doubt need to
be refined and updated as we sort out the realities of dealing with more
applications than we can financially support.

We'll have a chat about it tomorrow night at the committee teleconf, but
in the meantime if anyone has thoughts or input on the grant process
that'd be great.

Cheers  :-)

Jonathan Oxer