[Linux-aus] LCA2006 Having Education As A Theme?

Kylie Willison kmw at lm.net.au
Wed Jul 20 06:04:02 UTC 2005

        How about this modification?
    This email was sent from a computer running the Ubuntu Linux
    operating system.  The Linux operating system isn't harmed by
    any of the 100,000 or so Windows viruses you see on the news,
    and nor does it accidentally pass them on.

hmm - it's certainly better than some of the sigs I've seen :-)

        Educating adults is the only way to broaden Linux acceptance. _So_
        _many_ places shell out $3000 plus consulting on MS SBS because they
        think they'll somehow understand how to manager it "because it's
        Windows".

People can't believe it when they realise what Linux really is.  They're dumbfounded!
I love my work! When I can not only give someone skills for getting a job but also
give them legal, windows virus proof software which costs them nothing (or very little)
I'm happy. They may not understand much more than that but that's okay.

        The only straightforward way to break this attitude is education.
        Computer Angels' approach is to educate everyone that they hand a
        system to. I'm sure the McNallys (and others) would enjoy at least a
        serious round-table on this, if not a full mini-conference. It would
        help to deal with many tangential (not-directly-Linux) problems as
        well.

I'm involved with recycling groups in Sth Aus so I get to teach and give away PCs. There
may be people from here who would be interested in this sort of miniconf too.
Does anyone know what pc recycling/edu groups there are in NZ?

        If the answer amounts to Yes, then I hereby stupidly volunteer to
        organise it and to raise a proposal to put to l.o.au for paying (say)
        half of the airfares for one *contributing* participant (ie, must
        attend and must give a real and useful presentation) from each state?

        Cheers; Leon

Kylie
--
Teen Challenge Murray Bridge
http://www.lm.net.au/~tcmb

This email was sent from a computer running the Ubuntu Linux operating
system.  The Linux operating system isn't harmed by Windows viruses.