[Linux-aus] Hello everyone! and Grant Request

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Tue Jul 5 22:45:02 UTC 2005

Random opinions.

Tim Ansell wrote:
> I would like funding to cover the cost of producing the prototype PCB
> boards. [...]
> I also would like some help with the cost of parts. [...]

So this part seems pretty easy and straightforward. If it's a worthwhile
project, providing a small amount of money to help with parts is easy.

> As I have only recently started participating in hardware side of the
> Open Source world, I am lacking a few tools for working on it.  [...]

This part is a little less obvious to me; surely it'd be better for this
sort of hardware to be owned by some sort of "open hardware hacking
group", so it can be shared amongst different people and projects;
possibly as part of a university engineering club, or with assistance
from an engineering firm that already has those tools.

> As the Open Source software for producing PCB is still primate I have
> been using a piece of software called "CadSoft Eagle". [...]

This is kinda similar.

> I am not after any money to help with time issues (as I enjoy working
> on these projects). At a later date a production run could be done and
> funded by Linux Australia which should turn a profit.

With what other people have said, maybe it makes more sense to look at
this as a way of encouraging people to do open source hardware hacking
in general, than as something that'll actually be either profitable or
actually reduce the cost of VOIP in Australia. I mean, if it does turn
out to be either of those things, that's great, but it's not anything
like a certainty, and encouraging open source hardware might be a
worthwhile thing in and of itself anyway, at least if it's cheap?

Cheers,
aj