[Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Mon Jul 4 12:42:02 UTC 2005

James Purser wrote:

> Lorn I understand your arguments but the fact is the majority of the
> membership have indicated that they accept the decision of the committee
> and have moved on.

You probably mean that these people are resigned to this decision
because the committee has probably ignored them. (from what I have heard
there was quite an opposition to this decision, and these concerns were
overruled, much like my opinions on the matter have been).

I only brought this up, because Bret brought up some concerns about it,
and was flipantly disregarded.

> As to the trustworthyness of the committee, I have yet to see any major
> sponsors refuse to part with their marketing dollars because the
> conference is going to be held in NZ, instead I think they would view
> this as a great opportunity to raise the profile of their organisations
> in NZ by having one of the major Linux conferences of the year being
> held in Dunedin.

Of course they haven't, they wouldn't complain if you took it to the US
either. It's only marketing to them.

> Many of the larger IT organisations that would sponsor the conference
> have their Australiasian head quarters in Australia. This means that
> they would be setting policy for their NZ branches, including
> sponsorship of events such as this.
>
> As I said before if you don't like the way that LA is going stand for
> election at the next elections.

Why would I want to run an organization that can't honour it's own charter?

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Trolltech Qtopia Community Manager