[Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sun Jul 3 20:58:02 UTC 2005

On Sunday 03 July 2005 16:59, James Purser wrote:
> Yes some would have rathered the conference happened in Broome but
> the Broome bid team weren't prepared enough.

It's Broome. What's to prepare? (-:

Seriously, I'd love to have a conference in Broome, just before or just
after the silly season ends. Evening presentations on the beach, that
kind of thing.

Even somewhere like Monkey Mia would be... different. We would
completely nuke the accomodation in Denham and Monkey Mia about five
times over, and broadband connectivity would be "interesting" to
arrange. Likewise for Uluru/Ayer's Rock (only I think they can
accomodate a few hundred). Cairns would be great, just before
Christmas. All the mangoes you can wallow in. (-:

But it'll be a few years yet.

Wait until we start recycling capital cities, or get serious complaints
about not enough tickets to the conf (calls for a split), then I'll get
genuinely serious about Broome. Broome is a workable venue, and
interesting for the novelty, but not nearly as easy/straightforward as
a capital city, and no university to do the hosting. We'd need a bit
more momentum before trying it. Perhaps one of the DarLUG people would
like to comment on the feasibility of a conference in serious crocodile
country?

It would be good to have a tradition of never (or never quite) having a
conference in the same place twice. The New South Welshmen can have it
in Orange or Newcastle instead of Sydney.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia