[Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Sun Jul 3 16:50:03 UTC 2005

Leon Brooks wrote:
> Technically, New Zealand is two states of Australia anyway. No, I'm not
> kidding, the legislation has been in place for ages in both countries,
> it just hasn't been acted upon.

Aussies still need a passport to get to New Zealand, making it
technically something more than just two Australian states.

> We'll go overseas to Tasmania, too, when they have enough people to back
> an LCA there.

I thought LCA did not have any problems filling arenas.

>>How is it helping the Australian Linux Community by taking the
>>conference overseas?
>

>  * helping them to appreciate what they have;
>
>  * filtering out the less dedicated for one year;

Dedication has nothing to do with it. Travelling internationally is
inherentally more of a PITA than travelling domestically.

>  * top spot to be in midsummer;

this is open to debate.

>  * giving neighbours a kickstart to synergise evangelism in the region;

>  * demonstrating the international nature of Internet development
>    without going overboard;
>
>  * generally not being colonial and mindlessly nationalist.

Then amend the charter to include a more international flavor and stop
calling it Linux Australia. ;)

>>If this is now changed to focus on Linux Anzacs, or Linux
>>Commonwealth - then state this in the charter.
>

> Linux UK already exists, eliminating Commonwealth Linux. ANZAC Linux I
> could live with, but what would we use for a domain name?
>
> How about Linux Australasia? I think a formal name change would be a
> major PITA, but I don't think referring to us as Linux Australiasia
> would be such a bad thing.

At this point, it would be more accurite.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Trolltech Qtopia Community Manager