[Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sat Jul 2 12:53:01 UTC 2005

Lorn Potter wrote:
> Everyone whom I have told this to, including non geek types that don't
> know anything about Linux, thinks this seems a bit odd, and raises a lot
> of eyebrows.

Personally, I think that's half the fun. We raised some eyebrows when we
moved the conference to Brisbane (after Sydney and Melbourne) too --
lots of people didn't think people would go. Even more eyebrows were
raised when we went to Perth, for the same reason. Eyebrows were
likewise raised when Canberra's LCA shifted the timing into April.

I'm all for keeping things from getting stuck in a rut, personally.
Having a team that's enthusiastic about running a great conference is
what attracts the speakers and then the attendees.

If you want a boring explanation; LCAs been comparatively under-attended
by NZers, so having one in NZ should give them a taste of what they're
missing out on, and thus encourage more folks to consider the trip to
.au in future worthwhile, in turn improving trans-Tasman ties within the
community and making it easier for Australian Linux and open source
professionals to take advantage of NZ opportunities, whether providing
or obtaining products or services.

If you book cheap Freedom Air fares for the conference now, you seem to
be able to get them for about $90 each way from Brisbane, fwiw.

Cheers,
aj