[Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Jul 1 14:53:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Jonathan Oxer wrote:

> Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 15:06:05 +1000
> From: Jonathan Oxer <jon at ivt.com.au>
> To: Bret Busby <bret at busby.net>
> Cc: linux-aus <linux-aus at linux.org.au>
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?
>
> On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 11:08 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>
>> overseas, appears to involve paid overseas travel for those involved in
>> making the decision, is worthy of examination.
>
> Sigh. OK, I see where you're coming from and of course the Committee
> needs to be accountable to the LA membership, but I think you're missing
> something rather important.
>
> Being on the LA committee is not beer and skittles. It's time-consuming,
> frustrating, requires diplomacy, and is just plain hard work. We meet by
> teleconference *every* *week*, and converse regularly during the week as
> well. On top of that, it actually costs money out of our own pockets to
> be on the Committee. Even when big-ticket items like airfares to a
> face-to-face meeting are covered, there are numerous little expenses
> along the way. Interstate phone calls, time off work to attend meetings
> and other functions, paying for take-away food while at an f2f when we
> would have eaten more cheaply at home, it all adds up. It gets in the
> way of our social life, it takes time away from other things we could be
> doing, and it's generally just a pain.
>
> So to be accused of rorting the organisation after putting in money out
> of my own pocket is just a little bit hurtful.

If you and others who have criticised or flamed my post, read my
posting, I said that the matter is worthy of examination, NOT that the
money was rorted, or that, as someone else suggested in another
response, that the committee defrauded Linux Australia.

The problem is that what happened, in the circumstances as stated,
creates a situation where examination would be worthwhile.

It is like the proverb, "Justice must not only be done, it must be seen
to be done". In that, and, as has been mentioned in court judgements in
relation to bias, is the concept of perception. In  relation to court
judgements where mention has been made relating to bias, is the term,
"perception of bias".

As I said in my posting, the two issues are worthy of examination. I do
not expect that they would show, as mentioned as suggested above, or in
the other response, that the committee had rorted, or defrauded, Linux
Australia.

However, the posting by the Linux Australia president, had sought
comment on the status of Linux Australia, and I raised issues that are,
I think, worthy of examination.

If others argue that the committee is unaccountable, as it appears from
some of the responses so far, and that is the decision, then so be it.

In relation to my reference to members of governments, etc, and overseas
trips, I note that a headline has come out today, as shown on the ABC
online news web site 'Beazley denies MP's on European jaunts'. This is
the kind of image, that is best avoided by what is supposed to be a
non-profit organisation with apparently defined goals and objectives.

And, I note that, in the responses to my posting, are, as usual, the
gratuitously derogatory postings, which are of the nature that cause
people to stay away from the list, and, possibly from the association.

And that, especially in conjunction with the nature of some of the
decisions of the committee, or disagree with something that happens in
Linux Australia!, is indicative of the lack of maturity,
professionalism, and, dignity, of the organisation, which adversely
affects its sustainability and status.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale