[Linux-aus] "Linux" as a trademark in Australia

Hi all,

On Friday I received a phone call from a gentleman wanting to register a
business name including the word "Linux". He was told by ASIC that he
had to check the status of "Linux" as a trademark with Linux Australia
before he could proceed.

For those who aren't aware, the process of registering "Linux" as a
trademark in Australia is underway and there has been a dispute over who
should be the rightful holder.

There's some more information here:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/0,2000061733,39155848,00.htm

Would someone with more knowledge of the background than me care to give
a quick status report and a rundown of what happens when a company wants
to register a business name including the word "Linux"?

Cheers   :-)

Jonathan Oxer